For many consultancies significant work experience is required. Larger ones such as Crown Agents are worth looking at even if you have minimal experience.
- Adam Smith International – Advisory Adam Smith International is a leading international advisory firm that works throughout the world to help reform and improve economies and institutions.
- Aurecon (IDSS) Development Consultancy Aurecon works with communities, organisations and governments to build local capacity, to advocate for access to resources and for the delivery of basic services. It is based in Australia.
- Bankable Frontier Associates (BFA) – Development Consultancy BFA is a development consultancy guiding clients through the risks and complexities to fashion appropriate responses to advance the access to financial services for unserved and underserved people worldwide.
- Banyan Global – Development Consulting Firm Banyan Global is a development consulting firm, founded on the principle that integrating expertise and experience from the development community and private sector will achieve a broad and lasting impact.
- BDO – International Projects Group Consultancy services for developing nations, emerging markets and transition economies.
- Cardno – professional infrastructure and environmental services Cardno provides services to plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable physical, social and economic infrastructure for local and international communities.
- Coffey – Consultancy Firm Coffey International Limited is a specialist professional services consultancy with expertise in geosciences, international development, and project management. Operating for more than 50 years, they are well known in their markets for deep technical skil
- Crown Agents International development specialist working with leaders across the world to make profound changes to systems, organisations and society
- DAI Development Consultancy Social and economic development. Global organisation made up of four companies
- DevTech Systems – Development Consultancy DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development. They provide advisory services and technical assistance to government, private-sector, and civil-society stakeholders in more than 100 countries.
- Gamos – Development Company Gamos is a small company working with the social factors surrounding development interventions, organisational development, technology use and transfer.
- GIZ German government’s department for International Development
- Harewelle – Development Consultancy Harewelle International Limited is an international development consultancy committed to poverty alleviation and supporting sustainable growth through capacity building.
- HLSP – Development Consultancy HLSP provides health sector consultancy, programme management and policy advice to international agencies and national governments in developing countries.
- HTSPE – Development Consultancy HTSPE is an international consultancy company specialising in development and programme management. Their mission is to mobilise and co-ordinate the skills, systems and services to help our clients achieve real benefits for themselves and the community.
- Human Dynamics – Consultancy Human Dynamics is a consulting organisation, dealing with economic, institutional development, good governance and sector policy issues.
- Indecon – Consultancy in emerging markets Indecon Consulting is an independent consultancy with its headquarters in Berlin. It has been incorporated since 1998 and is owned and managed by its directors. It provides public sector consultancy and corporate advisory services.
- ITAD International development consultancy specialising in monitoring and evaluation in the UK.
- Law and Development Partnerships The Law & Development Partnership provides high level strategic advice and support to developing country governments and donors. They specialise in justice and security, private sector development: governance and institutional development.
- Malitaba – Development Consultancy Malitaba is a development consultancy in Johannesburg, South Africa that provides services to the Corporate, NGO, Community and Government sectors.
- RTI International RTI is an independent, nonprofit institute that provides research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients worldwide.
- Social and Scientific Systems, Inc.Our mission is to improve public health worldwide by providing technical, research, and program management services to government and other clients. This support enables policymakers, medical professionals, communities, and citizens to improve public heal
- SPAN Consultants SPAN Consultants is an independent consulting firm, offering specialist services in communication & information, education & human resource development.
- The Springfield Centre – Development Consultancy The Springfield Centre is an independent consulting, training and research organisation specialising in private sector development in low and middle-income economies.
- Triple Line – Development Consultancy Triple Line Consulting Ltd was established in 1999. The organisation works with Government administrations, bilateral and multilateral assistance agencies, international financing institutions, the private sector and civil society.
- Verulam Group – Consultancy The VERULAM Group is an international group of consultancy companies and associate consultants specialising in governance, institutional development and process consultancy primarily within the public sector.
Think tanks with a development focus
There is a full list of think tanks (and a guide on how to get into them) elsewhere on the website in think tanks and research institutions. Here’s a few that have a development focus.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing cooperation between nations and promoting active international engagement by the United States
- Center for International Policy Internship opportunities The Center for International Policy is a nonprofit research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. Through advocacy and policy research, CIP promotes transparency and accountability in U.S. foreign policy, while advocating a foreign policy th
- CPSU: Home The Commonwealth Policy Studies Unit (CPSU) is the think-tank for the Commonwealth of fifty-four nations and nearly two billion citizens. We specialise on issues of Commonwealth policy including globalisation, democracy, civil society and human rights.
- IDMC : Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre A leading international body monitoring conflict-induced internal displacement worldwide.
- International Crisis Group The International Crisis Group is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation committed to preventing and resolving deadly conflict.
- New Philanthropy Capital (NPC) NPC is a consultancy and think tank dedicated to providing independent research, tools and advice for charities and funders, both in the UK and internationally.
- New Philanthropy Capital | Intelligent Giving New Philanthropy Capital (NPC) is a consultancy and think tank dedicated to providing independent research, tools and advice for charities and funders, both in the UK and internationally.
- Overseas Development Institute (ODI) ODI is Britain’s leading independent think tank on international development and humanitarian issues. ODI offers a fellowship scheme for postgraduate economists to work in the public sectors of developing countries in Africa.
- Oxford Research Group Founded in 1982 to research nuclear policy decision-making and the prevention of war, Oxford Research Group is an independent organisation of researchers and support staff. Their aim is to assist in the building of a more secure world without nuclear weapons.